Tony Robbins RPM: The Power of Chunking
Tony Robbins RPM system leverages the
power of chunking. Would
you rather feel overwhelmed by your
never ending to do list of 40..50…100 tasks, or does focusing on 8-10
your an executive or just starting out in your career, you have a
really important job as a mom, are a student or an entrepenuer, this
page is for you.
is the process of turning a lot into a little.
question How Do You Eat an Elephant?
bite at a time.
Robbins give a great example of the power of chunking in his
Your Life cd program,
which is the best way to not only learn
system, but to get very clear on your Mission, Values, Roles, and
Goals...all critical to taking advantage of this top down time
management system. He also goes through it on his new
personal coaching DVD.
In the example, Tony asks a woman why
she doesn't exercise. She answered that for her to exercise
she'd have to:
No wonder she doesn't work out...
- Lookup a gym in the yellow pages
- Drive to the gym
- Go on a tour
- Sign up for a multi year membership
- Hang her clothes in a locker that's too small, knowing
they'll fall off and get wrinkled
- Go to the first machine and wait for someone to finish
- Wipe it off since the last person didn't
- Change the amount of weight
- Go to the next machine and wait
- Wipe off that machine and adjust the wait......
- Take a shower and see more of some people than she ever
- Take out her clothes that fell off of the hook in the locker
- Put on her wrinkled clothes
- Get to her car and realize she forget to get her parking
- Go back to the gym and get the ticket validated
- Finally be on her way
Tony next asked her what she loves to do: eating out.....
What has to happen for her to eat out?
It doesn't take much to figure out which she's going to do on a regular
basis....eating is two steps, working out is 16 - anyone
would be overwhelmed by that.
- Pick a place
What are some areas of your life that you know you need to focus on,
but just don't? Is it possible that you're breaking them into
too many steps, and feeling overwhelmed by them?
Use the power
of chunking to your advantage. Instead of thinking about all
40 or 50 items on your to do list, start chunking them together into
Using the example from the Tony Robbins RPM overview page:
How could we begin chunking these together into related items?
- Buy dog food
- Buy cell phone for daughter
- Wash and fold laundry
- Prepare for meeting with CFO
- Review draft of 2008 Tax Return
- Drop off daughter at gymnastics
- Drop off son at soccer practice
- Create training plan for running group
- Run 6 miles in target heart zone
- Pick up daughter from gymnastics
- Pick up son from soccer practice
- Prepare for meeting with CFO and Review draft of tax return
- Create training plan for running group and run 6 miles go
- Dropping off and picking up children go together
- Buying dog food, cell phone, and washing and folding
laundry all seem related to the house and family and can be grouped
So we've already converted 11 separate to-do's into
that we can turn into actual results that we're
Are you starting to see the power and value of chunking?
Start taking advantage of Tony Robbins RPM system now by
writing down all of the things you think you have to do, both big and
small - just the power of writing
things down helps most people feel less overwhelmed.
Once you have your list, start chunking the related items together, and
head to the results page to start transforming them into actual results
you're committed to achieving.
to subscriber only content and
the latest time management tips, techniques, and strategies? Sign up
for the free monthly Time Management Times newsletter here:
you don't miss any new content. Subscribe to the Time
rss feed, a time management technique all
it's own. What better way to get the information you want then by
having it come to you...
Subscribe now either by clicking on one of the "Subscribe To This Site"
buttons to the left, or go the the Time
page for more information.